Preparation continues for inaugural Kansas date in 2013.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – GRAND-AM Road Racing will hold an open test on the new Kansas Speedway road course for the first time this weekend. The Rolex Sports Car Series and Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge will hold alternating sessions Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m.-4:45 p.m.
Among drivers and teams expected:
· Boris Said, a popular veteran of sports car and NASCAR competition, in the Marsh Racing No. 31 Whelen Engineering Corvette. His co-driver is Eric Curran.
· Ozz Negri, 2012 Rolex 24 At Daytona winner, in the No. 60 Michael Shank Racing Ford/Riley.
· Alex Popow, winner of the inaugural Rolex Series race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the North American Endurance Championship presented by VISITFLORIDA.com, in the No. 2 Starworks Motorsport Soloson Ford/Riley. He was a 2012 class winner at the 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans, and won this season’s American Le Mans Series PC championship.
· Joao Barbosa, winner of the 2010 Rolex 24 At Daytona, will share the No. 9 Corvette Daytona Prototype with new Action Express Racing teammate Burt Frisselle.
· Three-time 2012 Rolex Series GT winners Robin Liddell and John Edwards, in the No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports Chevrolet Camaro.
· Audi of America brings the No. 52 Audi R8, with factory driver Frank Stippler expected.
· Shelby Blackstock, son of actor/singer Reba McEntire, will be in the No. 51 Roush Performance Starstruck Ford Mustang Boss 302R, one of four Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge cars.
Admission to the test is free, although Kansas Speedway is requesting a donation to the March of Dimes. Fans will have access to the infield for both days of the test, and should enter the speedway at Phoenix Drive off of State Ave. Parking will be available in the Blue and White paved lots that are normally used for RV parking on race weekends. Fans will board a tram from those lots for access into the infield. For grandstand access, fans are asked to enter at Michigan Drive off of Speedway Blvd. and to park in Lot 6. Gate D (near Turn 1) will be the only Gate open. Fans will have access from Turn 1 through Hospitality Village to watch testing. Parking lots and gates will open at 8 a.m. each day.